[Samba] owner and group permission

Tony Earnshaw tonye at billy.demon.nl
Wed May 4 13:15:07 GMT 2005

ons, 04.05.2005 kl. 14.28 skrev Joey Esquibal:

> We've just successfully upgraded our samba server from 2.0 to 3.0.
> Access from windows clients and linux clients particularly RH7.3 and
> RH9.0 has no problem accessing the files and saving them.
>
> Unfortunately, we also have Mandrake and Knoppix workstations and in
> which we're having problems on the mounting of the samba shares.
> Mandrake and Knoppix basically uses the original "owner" and "group"
> from the samba server itself which causes these linux distros unable to
> save files and giving the "read-only" access.
>
> Here's the sample ls output from my Mandrake workstation:
> --snip--
> -rwxrwxr-x  1 root 1064       0 Dec 16  2003 Tech Docu 0028.sxw*
> drwxrwxr-x  1 root 1064       0 Feb  4  2004 tintan-emailbackup.feb2004/
> drwxrwxr-x  1 root 1064       0 Jan 13  2004 Trainings/
> drwxrwxr-x  1 root 1064       0 Nov  4  2002 UNIX Handbook/
> --snip--
>
>  From RH7.3:
> --snip--
> -rwxrwxr-x  1 joeyae joeyae       0 Dec 16  2003 Tech Docu 0028.sxw*
> drwxrwxr-x  1 joeyae joeyae       0 Feb  4  2004 tintan-emailbackup.feb2004/
> drwxrwxr-x  1 joeyae joeyae       0 Jan 13  2004 Trainings/
> drwxrwxr-x  1 joeyae joeyae       0 Nov  4  2002 UNIX Handbook/
> --snip--

How come your Red Hat servers know who the uidNumbers and gidNumbers
belong to? How come the Mandrake and Knoppix machines don't? Do you, for
example, have a database (/etc/passwd, LDAP, NIS) on the Red Hat
machines and not on the others? Who has gidNumber 1064 on the Samba
server? I don't know why the Mandrake machine would make the dirs owner
root, though.

--Tonni

--
Nothing sucksseeds like a pigeon without a beak ...

mail: tonye at billy.demon.nl
http://www.billy.demon.nl

They'll love us, won't they? They feed us, don't they? ...