[Samba] owner and group permission

Joey Esquibal jaesquibal at meridiantelekoms.com
Wed May 4 12:28:24 GMT 2005

Sirs,

We've just successfully upgraded our samba server from 2.0 to 3.0.
Access from windows clients and linux clients particularly RH7.3 and
RH9.0 has no problem accessing the files and saving them.

Unfortunately, we also have Mandrake and Knoppix workstations and in
which we're having problems on the mounting of the samba shares.
Mandrake and Knoppix basically uses the original "owner" and "group"
from the samba server itself which causes these linux distros unable to
save files and giving the "read-only" access.

Here's the sample ls output from my Mandrake workstation:
--snip--
-rwxrwxr-x  1 root 1064       0 Dec 16  2003 Tech Docu 0028.sxw*
drwxrwxr-x  1 root 1064       0 Feb  4  2004 tintan-emailbackup.feb2004/
drwxrwxr-x  1 root 1064       0 Jan 13  2004 Trainings/
drwxrwxr-x  1 root 1064       0 Nov  4  2002 UNIX Handbook/
--snip--

 From RH7.3:
--snip--
-rwxrwxr-x  1 joeyae joeyae       0 Dec 16  2003 Tech Docu 0028.sxw*
drwxrwxr-x  1 joeyae joeyae       0 Feb  4  2004 tintan-emailbackup.feb2004/
drwxrwxr-x  1 joeyae joeyae       0 Jan 13  2004 Trainings/
drwxrwxr-x  1 joeyae joeyae       0 Nov  4  2002 UNIX Handbook/
--snip--

Please help, any pointers are greatly appreciated.

Good day to all.

Regards,

Joey Esquibal
Systems Administrator

--
...Choose friends of various ages in varying situations.
Acquintance I would have, but when't depends