[Samba] the profiles keeps mapping!

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Wed May 4 13:20:25 GMT 2005

>>Im doing this. The profile is mapped even if i use the "net use drive:
>>/delete". Even if i set another share to map to this drive letter! I
>>need the profile share because im using roaming profiles.
>>

>Keep in mind, that even if you do a net use drive: /delete, the Explorer will
>still show the drive mapping from it's cache, and won't remove it
>automatically. Windows cache's drive mappings across reboots, even if you
>have told it to remove them. It won't stop attempting to connect until you
>click the don't map this drive anymore option on a reboot "failed" to connect
>startup. So to truly get rid of a drive mapping is a pain, at least in 2k and
>up.   I have drive mappings show up in "My Network Places" for shares that
>haven't existed in two years, nor have they been connected to.

I have to disagree with this.  I do a /delete on every drive that I use
anywhere in our company for group based mappings, regardless of if the
user is in that group or not and people are constantly complaining about
their custom drive mappings disappearing.  Why they don't listen to us
and not use those letters is a different issue, but the fact is that the
/delete works.

Now in my config, I have the home directory mapped to H: and if you try
to delete that it throws all sorts of fits.

I have yet to see a (complete) smb.conf or a logon script in this
thread.  There are at least a couple of places where things can get
mapped automatically, and a few things default if you don't have
explicit entries.

--
Paul Gienger                    Office: 701-281-1884
Applied Engineering Inc.