[Samba] Problems with norwegian letters when browsing samba share.

Tony Earnshaw tonye at billy.demon.nl
Sun May 1 12:35:41 GMT 2005

søn, 01.05.2005 kl. 12.18 skrev Ørjan_Pettersen:

> I have three machines, from witch I browse a samba share.
>
> The problem is that if I create a cataloge with a norwegian letter(Æ, Ø,
> Å) in it, the only machine that can show this correct it sthe machine
> that created the cataloge. The other machines don't show this correct.
> The letters get swapped out with either underscore or some other funny
> looking letters, depending on witch machine created the cataloge.
>
> The three machines is,
> the samba server itself, running ArchLinux
> a workstation, running ArchLinux
> and another workstation, running Windows XP
>
> The software is up to date.
>
> Does someone have an idea what the problem might be, and how to fix it?

I have to be able to use Norwegian letters, can, see/write them both in
Windows and on TTY and pts CLIs.

Make sure you have:

display charset = ISO-8859-1 (or -15 if you want to write EURO signs)
dos charset = 850

in [global].

If you don't have anything for "unix charset", you'll get UTF-8, which
is what you need.

Best,

--Tonni

--
Nothing sucksseeds like a pigeon without a beak ...

mail: tonye at billy.demon.nl
http://www.billy.demon.nl

They'll love us, won't they? They feed us, don't they? ...