[Samba] Problems with norwegian letters when browsing samba share.

Ørjan Pettersen orjanp at stud.cs.uit.no
Sun May 1 13:59:10 GMT 2005

Tony Earnshaw wrote:

>søn, 01.05.2005 kl. 12.18 skrev Ørjan_Pettersen:
>

>>I have three machines, from witch I browse a samba share.
>>
>>The problem is that if I create a cataloge with a norwegian letter(Æ, Ø,
>>Å) in it, the only machine that can show this correct it sthe machine
>>that created the cataloge. The other machines don't show this correct.
>>The letters get swapped out with either underscore or some other funny
>>looking letters, depending on witch machine created the cataloge.
>>
>>The three machines is,
>>the samba server itself, running ArchLinux
>>a workstation, running ArchLinux
>>and another workstation, running Windows XP
>>
>>The software is up to date.
>>
>>Does someone have an idea what the problem might be, and how to fix it?
>>

>I have to be able to use Norwegian letters, can, see/write them both in
>Windows and on TTY and pts CLIs.
>
>Make sure you have:
>
>display charset = ISO-8859-1 (or -15 if you want to write EURO signs)
>dos charset = 850
>
>in [global].
>
>If you don't have anything for "unix charset", you'll get UTF-8, which
>is what you need.
>
>Best,
>
>--Tonni

It afraid it didn't help.

I can see the norwegian letters, but only from the machine that created
the file with the norwegian letter.
If machine 1 creates a file with a norwegian letter, it's only machine 1
that displays the file correct. The other two machines swap out the
letter. Same goes for the other two machines.

I tryed a Windows 2000 machine. It did show the catalogue created by the
Windows XP machine correct.

Ørjan...