[Samba] Problems with norwegian letters when browsing samba share.

Ørjan Pettersen orjanp at stud.cs.uit.no
Sun May 1 10:18:02 GMT 2005

Hello!

I have three machines, from witch I browse a samba share.

The problem is that if I create a cataloge with a norwegian letter(Æ, Ø,
Å) in it, the only machine that can show this correct it sthe machine
that created the cataloge. The other machines don't show this correct.
The letters get swapped out with either underscore or some other funny
looking letters, depending on witch machine created the cataloge.

The three machines is,
the samba server itself, running ArchLinux
a workstation, running ArchLinux
and another workstation, running Windows XP

The software is up to date.

Does someone have an idea what the problem might be, and how to fix it?

Ørjan...

Here is my smb.conf

[orjanp at ArchLinux ~]$ cat /etc/samba/smb.conf

# Global parameters
[global]
       workgroup = HJEMMENETT
       server string = Samba