[Samba] smbclient - recently broken?

pb peter at bqdesign.com.au
Sun May 1 03:10:47 GMT 2005

Hello all,

forgive me if this is old news but it seems to me that
smbclient is prone to getting into an infinite loop
when mget'ting a stack of files.

I have tested (compiled from source with defaults)
samba versions 3.0.10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 14a
Versions prior to 3.0.13 are fine, in my environment, versions 3.0.13
and later are causing the problem.

The basic data on my system is
-a P4 3.2 Ghz, 512 Ram, Slakware 10, Intel Etherexpress Pro Nic. 	this
server is very lightly loaded.
-The client is a NT4 with SP6a, with a 100 day uptime habit 			(i.e.
really reliable). It is the current file server and is
backed up daily with smbclient.

I had client problems with Win98 clients with samba v3.0.10,11 and 12
during this testing, but I have a stable situation with samba v3.0.7
where both smbclient as well as the Win98/XP Pro clients work fine.

I can provide packet captures of the infinite loop if needed.

Peter.