[Samba] smbclient - recently broken?

Tony Earnshaw tonye at billy.demon.nl
Sun May 1 07:21:03 GMT 2005

pb wrote:

> forgive me if this is old news but it seems to me that
> smbclient is prone to getting into an infinite loop
> when mget'ting a stack of files.
>
> I have tested (compiled from source with defaults)
> samba versions 3.0.10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 14a
> Versions prior to 3.0.13 are fine, in my environment, versions 3.0.13
> and later are causing the problem.
>
> The basic data on my system is
> -a P4 3.2 Ghz, 512 Ram, Slakware 10, Intel Etherexpress Pro Nic.
> this server is very lightly loaded.
> -The client is a NT4 with SP6a, with a 100 day uptime habit
> (i.e. really reliable). It is the current file server and is
> backed up daily with smbclient.
>
> I had client problems with Win98 clients with samba v3.0.10,11 and 12
> during this testing, but I have a stable situation with samba v3.0.7
> where both smbclient as well as the Win98/XP Pro clients work fine.
>
> I can provide packet captures of the infinite loop if needed.

Whilst I can't corroborate the exact symptoms you describe, I can
confirm that on my test server (Red Hat RHEL3 update 3) using smbclient
to connect to the C$ (root) share of an XP Prof workstation with 1.8GB
files:

Using Samba 3.0.11, "dir" immediately returns all files and folders;
Using 3.0.14 "dir" hangs and never returns anything. Connecting to a
share of smaller size works normally.

Drat, I installed 3.0.14 on the test rig yesterday and everything else
works fine. Now I've reverted to 3.0.11.

3.0.11 is being run in production at a site with 75+ Win 2000
workstations, RHEL3 Update 4,  I administer and gives no problems with
anything.

Best,

--Tonni

mail: tonye at billy.demon.nl
http://www.billy.demon.nl

They'll love us, won't they? They feed us, don't they ? ...