[Samba] Windows XP & greyed-out Guest user password prompt

Jules Agee julesa at pcf.com
Wed Mar 30 18:01:49 GMT 2005

Tony Earnshaw wrote:
> Jules Agee:
>

>>(replying to self again)
>>Update:
>>The Windows XP (SP2, BTW) client tries three times to log in to the
>>Samba server with the Windows username, which is different from the
>>Samba username. As one would expect, Samba replies to each of the three
>>requests with a "STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD" message, and in the same packets
>>the Action segment reads 0x0001 "Guest: Logged in as GUEST". If a new XP
>>user is created with the same username and password as the Samba account,
>>the problem goes away. But if either the XP username or the XP password
>>differs from Samba's info, the user is never prompted for the real
>>username or password.
>

> I don't understand. One either logs onto the domain (which has a name) or
> onto the local machine (which has a different name). One can't logon to
> both at the same time, the choice is given at logon time. The advantage of
> the domain logon is, that users can move from machine to machine (for
> example in a teachers' common room, as I have) and just carry on with
> their work in a familiar environment. Why would you want to synchronize
> local and domain accounts?

There is no domain, and no domain server. Due to circumstances out of my
control, we are only using workgroup shares. The samba servers are set
"security = share" in smb.conf. They share authentication data via an
LDAP server, but that information is not accessible to or synchronized
with the local desktop logins at this time.

I don't want to synchronize them. What I want is for Windows XP to
*prompt* the user for which username they would like to use to access
the share on the Samba server, since the local Windows username will
always fail for the Samba server login. Instead, they are only presented
with a prompt for the Guest password.

I should have been clearer in my earlier message. Here is the
blow-by-blow for the authentication dialog:

XP: Negotiate Protocol Request, what are your capabilities?
Samba: Negotiate Protocol Response, I can do this and this and this
XP: I'd like to make an anonymous connection to the $IPC share, please.
Samba: OK, no problem. You're successfully connected as Guest.
XP: How about you let me log in as (local XP uid, local XP pw) instead
of Guest?
Samba: Nope, sorry, STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD but Action = 0x0001 (you're
still logged in as Guest)
XP: Aww, c'mon, lemme log in as (local XP userid, local XP pw)
Samba: Nope, sorry, STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD but you're still logged in as
Guest
XP: PLEEEEEZE let me log in as (local XP userid, local XP pw)
Samba: Uh-uh. STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD. You're still logged in as Guest

The local XP userid doesn't exist in Samba's authentication data source,
and it's not supposed to. When XP is unsuccessful doing the above
negotiation with a Windows 2000 or 2003 server, then it prompts the user
for a different username and password. But when the user does the exact
same thing with a Samba server, it doesn't allow the user to choose a
different username. It just presents a dialog asking for the Guest login
password.