[Samba] Re: Windows XP & greyed-out Guest user password prompt

Tom Schaefer tom at umsl.edu
Wed Mar 30 21:19:40 GMT 2005

It is because you are using

security = share

which is emulating the old Win9x way of sharing where the username is
irrelevant, which is why XP just sets it to guest and greys it out, and
all that matters is knowing the password to the particular share.

Share a folder from Win9x using the type of sharing where you set a
password to access a folder and then access it from XP.  You'll see the
same thing - greyed out guest.

Tom Schaefer

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 10:01:49 -0800
Jules Agee <julesa at pcf.com> wrote:

> Tony Earnshaw wrote:
> > Jules Agee:
> >

> >>(replying to self again)
> >>Update:
> >>The Windows XP (SP2, BTW) client tries three times to log in to the
> >>Samba server with the Windows username, which is different from the
> >>Samba username. As one would expect, Samba replies to each of the
three> >>requests with a "STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD" message, and in the same
packets> >>the Action segment reads 0x0001 "Guest: Logged in as GUEST". If
a new XP> >>user is created with the same username and password as the
Samba account,> >>the problem goes away. But if either the XP username or
the XP password> >>differs from Samba's info, the user is never prompted
for the real> >>username or password.

> > I don't understand. One either logs onto the domain (which has a name)
or> > onto the local machine (which has a different name). One can't logon
to> > both at the same time, the choice is given at logon time. The
advantage of> > the domain logon is, that users can move from machine to
machine (for> > example in a teachers' common room, as I have) and just
carry on with> > their work in a familiar environment. Why would you want
to synchronize> > local and domain accounts?