[Samba] Samba, Win XP Not printing

Mark Halegua msh at farsight-data.com
Wed Mar 23 06:37:43 GMT 2005

I've been upgrading a client's systems from Win98SE to WinXP and am having an
unexpected problem.

I have 2 Linux servers.  One is a print and fax server which has worked fine
with the Win98 workstations.  They can browse and find the printer (an HP
LaserJet 5Si) and print without problems.

The server itself is also running HylaFax and is printing with out a problem.

The XP systems can browse, see, and install the printers, but keep showing the
message (in the priters and faxes pane) "unable to access - no  connection"

Below find a copy of the smb.conf file.  I've tried several things (the users
have been added to the system using YAST and the smbadduser command line).

Anyone have a suggestion?

Mark

--------------------  smb.conf   ----------------------

# smb.conf is the main Samba configuration file. You find a full commented
# version at /usr/share/doc/packages/samba/examples/smb.conf.SuSE
# Date: 2004-04-06
[global]
	workgroup = WORKGRP
	interfaces = 127.0.0.1 eth0
	bind interfaces only = true
	load printers = yes
	min print space = 2000
	printing = cups
	printcap name = cups
	print command = /usr/bin/lp -d%p -oraw %s;rm %s
	lpq command = /usr/bin/lpstat -o%p
	lprm command = /usr/bin/cancel %p-%j
	queuepause command = /usr/bin/disable %p
	queueresume command = /usr/bin/enable %p
	printer admin = @ntadmin, root, administrator
	map to guest = Bad User

[homes]
	comment = Home Directories
	valid users = %S
	browseable = No
	read only = No

[public]
	comment = a place for common stuff for all users
	path=/home/public
	writeable = no
	browseable = yes
	read only = yes
[users]
	comment = All users
	path = /home
	writeable = Yes
	inherit permissions = Yes
	veto files = /aquota.user/groups/shares/
[groups]
	comment = All groups
	path = /home/groups
	writeable = Yes
	inherit permissions = Yes
[pdf]
	comment = PDF creator
	path = /var/tmp
	printable = Yes
	print command = /usr/bin/smbprngenpdf -J '%J' -c %c -s %s -u '%u' -z %z
	create mask = 0600

[printers]
	comment = All Printers
	browseable = no