[Samba] Issues with de-installation...

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Wed Mar 23 06:42:16 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 22 March 2005 23:24, Madhusudan, R wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Given below is the output of the command execution:
>
> $ /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd -b | grep smb.conf
>    CONFIGFILE: /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf
>
> What does this imply?

Well, for starters, your RPM based install would have located the smb.conf
file in /etc/samba/smb.conf. In other words, when you execute smbd and nmbd
they do not find your smb.conf file.

> I'm coming to realize that installing samba via RPMs does a lot more
> than installing samba using images via "make install" does. Or that I
> need spend some extra time making the system aware of this unconventional
> installation...

Samba is not unconventional, its convention is to install everything
in /usr/local/samba, all Linux distributions install into the LSB standards
compliant locations.

> What are the additional steps I need to follow to get samba up and running
> with the way I've installed it?

It is always best on RPM systems to install RPMs.

- John T.