[Samba] what to do ??

SABINE ZARABIAN sabine.zarabian at uni-bielefeld.de
Fri Mar 18 08:09:45 GMT 2005

Hallo Greg,

i am sorry I didn't understand all your questions because of my bad
english knowledge and I apologize for my mistakes.
One year ago we changed our server structure from thee Novell 5 Servers
with NDS to samba3 PDC with ldap for authentication and cups for
printing. We have  nearly 450 users and 400 workstations and  after some
problems at the beginning we are really happy about this descision.
After this change we are not be able to use NAL, this was one of the
biggest problem for the acceptance by the users, because with NAL the
user did not need to pay for applications (the university paid for this
licence but only in combination with novell client and nal) . Now we
install nearly all applications locally on the workstaions and the user
has to pay for a campus licence. Because of this more and more users
are ready to use  alternative applications like staroffice/openoffice
or they  try to use linux as workstation and they understand, that there
is no need to use allways the newest version of an application.
Now, we do not need to change the novell client every some weeks like
before, so we have really less work with our workstations and because we
do not need to use a novell client, the workstaation startup is much
faster then before. For the users it seems to be that the whole network
system is much more stable.
I hope, this experience is a help for you.

Sabine

--
Sabine Zarabian
university of bielefeld