[Samba] what to do ??

Greg Andrews andrews at rgt.com.au
Fri Mar 18 04:59:18 GMT 2005

Howdy All,

I am the adminstrator in a school which has netware 4.11 ( five servers in
the nds tree )as its main student platform. This has been working very
well over the past 6 years or so.

The school has the ability to obtain a microsoft solution at no cost (
except for the new hardware required, which is the reason for this email
in the first place ).

Advice and opinions are sought on the following points

1. do I go microsoft
2. do I stick with novell ( I am aware of a "misty" who recently migrated
from netware to linux ) and perhaps move to netware 6 ( cost about $3000 )
3. do I move to samba.
4. do I make a hybrid and pick the eyes out of each system

Now I fully expect most people to say go linux  and whilst I am all for it
I need to be able to justify my decision . I am capable of administering a
netware system and have a rudimentry samba server system running at
another place  ( no ldap ) so am familiar with samba to some degree but
have ( up until now ) steered clear  of the inferior microsoft server
packages ( also have little experience with them ).So some traing costs in
 samba and microsoft should be included in the mix. Netware I am
conversant with.

One major consideration will be that I would like to be able to run a
single  user database. ldap I think will accomplish this. I am currently
using netware's nds to do this.
Mail and mailing lists  and N.A.L. are also currently being used to good
effect. Davis Harris's Mercury mail is being used  as this provides great
flexibility in mail but unfortunately no  (automatic) spam filtering in
the netware environment. I am going to build a linux box as a mail front
end and use the "native" spam and "sendmail" environments to accomplish
this.

Pretty obviously, most systems are "customised" by the admin. Ours is no
exception.

Another question that people out there might know is

can samba run as a susserver ?

enough ramblings

Thanks to any and all who read and reply.

--
Greg Andrews
System Manager
andrews at rgt.com.au