[Samba] Thursby's DAVE and Symlinks

AndyLiebman at aol.com AndyLiebman at aol.com
Thu Mar 17 18:16:00 GMT 2005

Does anybody here have any experience with  Thursby's DAVE and symlinks on a
Samba Server?

When I connect to my  Linux Samba Server via DAVE (running on Mac OS X
10.3.8), I can see all the  links that I have made to files that reside in other
directories on the Linux  Server. However, Mac OS X thinks they are aliases. And
when I try to open them,  I get back a Mac error saying "The alias "xyz" could
not be opened because the  original item cannot be found".

This behavior is very different than  what I get on Windows XP or Windows
2000 -- and for that matter, the native OS X  SMB/CIFS client -- which treat
symlinks just as any other file.

The  reason I'm trying to use DAVE is because of huge performance issues with
the  Native Mac OS X SMB/CIFS implementation. The Apple version is absolutely
useless  for my particular application. DAVE performs much better.

However, I  have to sort out this links thing. Anybody have any ideas? Is
there something  that can be set on the Linux/Samba server side that will make
DAVE behave the  way I want?

Thanks for your thoughts
Andy Liebman