[Samba] srvtools (Usrmgr.exe) : strange problem

Olivier Rochefort o.rochefort at rematek.com
Thu Mar 17 20:13:18 GMT 2005

Hello everybody. I have noted a strange problem when using Usrmgr.exe
(from srvtools). The problem arise when a net groupmap is done on a
group for which a user exist with the same name that the specified
unixgroup. For example, lets say that I have the following UNIX user and
group create on my Samba server :

joe (in /etc/group)
joe (in /etc/passwd)

Now I create the following map :

net groupmap add ntgroup="Joe Smith" unixgroup=joe type=domain

Now if I start Usrmgr.exe and I check the user joe I can see the group
"Joe Smith" and others groups. If I try to remove the group "Joe Smith"
then Usrmgr.exe popup a message "Access denied". What is strange is that
if I check /etc/group I can see that the command has succeed because
user joe is no longer member of the group joe. Still that if I look back
to Usrmgr.exe, user joe is still a member of group "Joe Smith" even if
it's not the case in /etc/group. Anyone can bring some clarifications
about that?