[Samba] Citrix, Samba PDC experiences.

Gordon McCrae gordon.mccrae at mortgagesplc.com
Mon Mar 14 13:33:02 GMT 2005

I'm using Windows 2000 Terminal Servers here, which is the base for Citrix
installations. In addition, I've previously ran Winframe 1.7 and Metaframe
on NT4.0; all of which have worked fine with SAMBA.

I did have a problem 6-7 years ago with Winframe where I had to disable some
NT specific support to get locking to work with SAMBA, however this was pre
SAMBA 2.x, so you'll not see that problem.

I'm currently running some 170 users spread over 3 thin Windows 2000
Terminal Servers connecting to a single SuSE 9.2 Professional box running
SAMBA 3.0.11 and winbindd to our NT 4.0 PDC / BDC combination without
problems on the file sharing side.

I have massive problems with printer sharing, and have moved this onto a
second box so that I can more easily bounce samba / winbindd. Problems seem
to revolve around winbindd authentication, and to be honest I'm probably
going to move print serving back onto a Windows box for now, as it's got to
the point where users are screaming at my staff.

SAMBA PDC may also solve my winbindd problems (as may AD), and in fact we're
being pushed into AD by other developments.

Cheers
Gordon