[Samba] How to assign Administrator's rights?

Tony Earnshaw tonye at billy.demon.nl
Thu Mar 10 19:38:38 GMT 2005

Luca Olivetti:

> Most of my users (unfortunately me included) need to use a bloated,
> badly designed piece of sh^Hoftware that only works with administrator's
> rights (I won't say names but it's from a big german company strongly
> pushing for software patents). How can I assign those users
> Administrator's rights without phisically
> going to each machine? I cold put them in the 'Domain Admins' group, but I
> don't think it's the right solution. I tried playing with the
> 'Administrators' builtin but I cannot make it
> work (see my other message "Are builtin groups supposed to work with
> ldap").

Hope this helps a *little* bit. It is not what you were asking for, but
it's my two Eurocents' worth, use it as you will.

I have to run (under shitty Windows, of course, by far and away the
greatest conners in the business, forget any German firm in comparison)
msiexec as a user with elevated privileges. That is to say, run it as an
Administrator-group member.

O.k., now the rub. Of course, one can not normally do this. However, our
"organization" (high school in Amsterdam) chose to use Nitrobit's group
policy Windows plugin. We bought 80 Nitrobit licenses for the Nitrobit
Group Policy Kit (cheap if you're an educational institution).

Their support people told us how to run msiexec with elevated privileges.
It's not free info, so I may not shove it through. However, it's mostly
Google stuff.

Best,

--Tonni

mail: tonye at billy.demon.nl