[Samba] Extremely slow during browsing some directories

Linwei Cheng hcheng at sjgeophysics.com
Fri Mar 4 00:36:56 GMT 2005

hi,

I am quite new on using Samba and sorry maybe ask a silly question here. I
set up simple Samba server on Fedora3 using the samba rpm package comes with
fedora3( version 3.0.10-1.fc3). I use the SHARE security level to make
things easier. Everything goes fine so far, except that for some windows
user, some times, on browsing some directories, it takes extremely long time
to display the folders/files list. This seems weird because it happened
radomly: sometimes for the same user, same machine and browse same
directory, it works quickly, but sometimes it take about a minute to get the
response from server. What's the possibilities for this issue? Deperately
need help.

My /etc/smb.conf :

[global]

# workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name

workgroup = geophysics

# server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field

server string = fileserver

netbios name = fileserver

cups options = raw

log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log

max log size = 50

interfaces = 192.168.123.10/24

remote announce = 192.168.123.255

local master = no

wins server = 192.168.123.254

dns proxy = no

==============================

idmap uid = 16777216-33554431

idmap gid = 16777216-33554431

template shell = /bin/false

username map = /etc/samba/smbusers

password server = None

encrypt passwords = yes

guest ok = yes

guest account = sjv

winbind use default domain = no

security = SHARE

[homes]

comment = Home Directories

browseable = no

writeable = yes

# NOTE: If you have a BSD-style print system there is no need to

# specifically define each individual printer

[printers]

comment = All Printers

path = /var/spool/samba

browseable = no

# Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print

printable = yes

# This one is useful for people to share files

[projects]

comment = S.J.V. Projects Working Space

path = /projects

guest ok = yes

writeable = yes

force user = sjv

force group = sjv

[software]

comment = S.J.V. Software sharing space

path = /Software

writeable = yes

force user = sjv

force group = sjv

[fieldbk]

comment = S.J.V. Software backup for field

path = /FieldBackup

writeable = yes

force user = sjv

force group = sjv