[Samba] Why is netbios name duplicated on network after joining a samba domain?

Bahya NASSR EDDINE bahya_nassr at yahoo.fr
Fri Jul 29 08:12:09 GMT 2005

Hi,

I have a samba 3 PDC. My domain name is
"expl.test.com".
In smb.conf I set "WORKGROUP=EXPL" and "netbios
name=EXPL".

I can join a Windows XP client to the samba
domain. But after rebooting the client machine to make
changes effective, I get the error bellow:
    "Windows system error, A DUPLICATE NAME EXISTS ON
THE NETWORK".

Also, if I choose to log on to the domain from the
client machine (after rebooting it), I get this error
message:
   "The system cannot log you on now because the
domain EXPL is not available".

I changed the machine netbios name but the problem is
still there.

Would you please have any suggestion?

Thanks