[Samba] Usermap not linking accounts

Kristof Bruyninckx kristof.bruyninckx at thales-is.com
Fri Jul 29 07:16:18 GMT 2005

Hello @ll,

I have recently installed a RHEL 4 system with the default samba
packages :
samba-common-3.0.10-1.4E
samba-swat-3.0.10-1.4E
samba-3.0.10-1.4E
samba-client-3.0.10-1.4E

Now I have successfully linked this server to our Windows domain. This
means that all the windows IDs are known. Now we have our systems setup
in away that only people with existing GNU&Linux accounts can have
access to there home folders.

This setup is configured and working on several other server RHEL3 and
HP-UX11.11 servers.

But on the RHEL4 the link to the existing Unix account seems to be
broken?

Also the GNU&Linux accounts have been setup by a NIS, in case this would
be important.

contents of the smb.conf, basic setup actually :

[global]
        workgroup =
        realm =
        server string = CLearCase server
        security = DOMAIN
        auth methods = winbind
        obey pam restrictions = Yes
        password server =
        username map = /etc/opt/samba/smbusers
        log level = 3
        log file = /var/log/samba/smbd.log
        max log size = 50
        dns proxy = No
        ldap ssl = no
        idmap uid = 10000-20000
        idmap gid = 10000-20000
        template shell = /bin/bash
        winbind separator = /
        winbind cache time = 10
        winbind use default domain = Yes
        hosts allow = 192.168.1.

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        path = %H
        read only = No

[sharing]
        comment = File sharing area
        path = /home/sharing
        read only = No
        guest ok = Yes

and the layout of the smbusers file is:

LinuxAccount = DOMAIN\Windows.Account
etc...

also tried layout like this

LinuxAccount = Windows.Account
etc..

but no effect.

Does anybody have any more ideas of what could be setup wrongly? Or is
this related to a bug in samba?

--
Kristof.Bruyninckx

We are Microsoft.  What you are experiencing is not a problem; it is an
undocumented feature.