[Samba] Samba bdc

Scott Mayo sgmayo at mail.bloomfield.k12.mo.us
Fri Jul 1 21:03:12 GMT 2005

Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> Scott Mayo schrieb:
>
>> I have two serves set up.  One will be my PDC (master) and the other
>> will be my BDC (slave).  I have openldap setup and replicating the
>> data between the two servers.
>>
>> Everything seems to work fine from the Master, but I have one problem
>> with the slave.  From the slave, I can do an ldapsearch and everthing
>> is fine.  But when I do a 'pdbedit -L', I get the following:
>>
>> Unknown parameter encountered "ldap map suffix"
>> Ignoring unknown parameter "ldap map suffix"
>> failed to bind to server with dn="blah,blah"  Error: Can't contact
>> LDAP server (unknown)
>> smbldap_search_suffix: Problem during the ldap search (unknown) Timed out
>>
>> Everything works fine with any ldap command that I enter, so I assume
>> that it is something to do with samba.  Also,I can logon to the Master
>> server with a Windows client just fine.  If I take the Master down and
>> then try to login with my windows client, it tells me the domain is
>> not available.  I would have thought the BDC would have taken over.
>> Any ideas what to look at?  I can post my conf files if need be.
>

> It looks like the replication is configured (is it?), but not Samba.
>
> 1)
> Do you see users added on PDC also on BDC?
>
> use "getent passwd" for that.

Yes, that works.

> 2)
> Did you do "testparm"?
> It will check your smb.conf for errors.

Yes, everything seem to be alright there

> 3)
> BDC would take over domain logons (but not domain joins) only if it's
> configured properly.
> In your case, it looks like it isn't.

Any idea what I need to look at?  Strange thing is this:

I have a script that builds my login batch files on the go and saves
them in the netlogon directory.  If the PDC is up by itself, then it
works fine.  When I bring the BDC up and login with the client, it saves
the batch file to the BDC's netlogon directory.  But if I take down the
PDC then the client cannot login to the BDC.

I actually got it to where the 'pdbedit -L' works while the Master is
up, but if I take down the master then I get errors.

Thanks.

--
Scott Mayo
Technology Coordinator

Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it
holds the universe together.