[Samba] Re: Unable to connect to smb shares from second machine in workgroup

Ed Holden eholden at mclean.harvard.edu
Fri Jan 14 19:25:01 GMT 2005

What if you log on as andrew with your Samba password instead of using
the long name you have in smbusers?

Yes, it does look like your wireless netwokr is on the same subnet as
your wired one, so I'd doubt that the wired test will be successful (but
it's probably still worth trying).  Again, I suspect from the login
prompt that you are indeed connecting to Earth, but something in the
authentication is going amiss.  Maybe you should increase the debug
level to see what turns up in the logs.

Also, have you fixed starbase's group policy security settings?  There
are a couple XP settings for digitally signing and encrypting data, and
sometimes they can cause incompatibilities with Samba.  Run gpedit.msc
from the Start menu on starbase and the Group Policy editor will pop up.
  Navigate through it to Computer Configuration\Windows
Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Security Options.  Then
disable the following policies:

  Domain Member: Digitally encrypt or sign secure channel data (always)
  Domain Member: Digitally sign secure channel data (when possible)

-Ed

:: Ed Holden
:: Administrator, Research Information Systems
:: McLean Hospital
:: Tel: (617) 855-2822
:: Web: http://research.mclean.harvard.edu/ris

Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> Ed Holden wrote:
>
>> That you are getting a password prompt on starbase at all indicates
>> that you are connecting to earth, but earth is probbaly rejecting your
>> login.  While voyager\foo and \starbase\foo may not be the same user,
>> in my experience as long as you are using the correct password for
>> your Samba user earth\foo, the username "foo" should work fine from
>> starbase.  Are you seeing anything odd in the Samba logs on earth?
>

> Well on both XP boxes the username is my name, Andrew DeFaria, and the
> passwords are indeed the same. On the Linux box I use a username of just
> andrew. smbusers maps "Andrew DeFaria" -> andrew and this works just
> fine for Voyager but again, not for Starbase. The user andrew on the
> Linux box has the same password as the two XP boxes.
>
> No, I'm seeing nothing strange in the Samba log files. I think the fact
> that nmblookup is telling in that it cannot seem to find the machine
> Starbase but it can fine the machine voyager. I don't know why. I've
> taken steps to insure that /etc/hosts on the machines all reflect the
> proper IP addresses. I've even created an /etc/samba/lmhosts so that the
> proper IP addresses are denoted there.
>
>> Perhaps your wireless network is on a different subnet from your wired
>> one?  In that case a host allow line in smb.conf may be the culprit.
>

> I don't think so. The IP addresses involved are voyager: 192.168.1.100,
> earth: 192.168.1.101 and starbase: 192.168.1.102.
>
>> What happens when starbase is on the wired network instead of the
>> wireless one (assuming you have a normal ethernet port on starbase).
>

> I thought of that but argh! Now I gotta fine a wire that long! :-(
>
> Well it's not that far away and I could always move the machine (but was
> hoping to avoid that).
>
> BTW: Starbase can browse to shares on Voyager and Voyager can browse to
> shares on Starbase. At least I think I did that before - I'll have to
> check tonight.

Any information, including protected health information (PHI), transmitted
 in this email is intended only for the person or entity to which it is
addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and or
exempt from disclosure under applicable Federal or State law. Any review,
retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking of any action in
reliance upon, protected health information (PHI) by persons or entities other
than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this email in error,
please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.