[Samba] Ghost logons / Recycle Bin Options (related)

Robert Schetterer robert at schetterer.org
Fri Feb 18 14:58:07 GMT 2005

Hi, maybe you should empty the recycle folder via find script periodic
by cron
like this

#!/bin/bash
#will delete all files older 7 days in all homes .recycle and its subfolders
find /home/*/.recycle/ -mtime +7 -type f -exec rm "{}" ";"

also make sure not needed stuff isnt store to the recycle bin
like this
[files3]
~        comment = public files
~        path = /files3
~        read only = No
~        guest ok = Yes
~        browseable = Yes
~        csc policy = disable
~        vfs objects = netatalk, extd_audit, recycle
~        recycle:keeptree = yes
~        recycle:versions = yes
~        recycle:touch = yes
~        recycle:exclude = ?~$*,~$*,*.tmp,index*.pl,index*.htm*,*.temp,*.TMP
~        recycle:exclude_dir=  /tmp,/temp,/cache
~        recycle:repository = .recycle/.recycle.%u
~        recycle:noversions = *.doc,*.xls,*.ppt
~        #hide files = /.recycle.*/.recycle/
~        #veto files = /.recycle.*/.recycle/

Regards

sysrm schrieb:
| Hi all. Long time no write :)
|
| Have been looking at recycle bin options using the VFS options.
|
| Everything works fine, but I have one question/snag.
|
| We use a script that uses smbclient to send a message to a machine to warn
| them they are low on space.
|
| So the user thinks "oh dear" and deletes stuff. Problem is on the quota
| system its still counted as part of their user space... Is there anywhere
| you can set the user it copies it to? i.e change the owner on the fly to
| root?
|
| Currently it copies to .recycle (which by default they cant see)
problem is
| also some students are deleting work and blaming it on the system...
And its
| not in the recycle bin. If the user was changed they couldn't do this :)
| Have thought about running a script on everyones .recycle bin, but decided
| against that :)
|
| Also as part of the script that sends messages to people, since
upgrading to
| version 3.05 +, ive noticed "ghost logons"
|
| That is to say when I do a smbstatus, there is more than one person logged
| onto that machine. They get the ghost users space warning, and then
come to
| us. We check their quota and its fine, but they will still get the message
| 15 mins later. The only way I can clear this is to either kill the PID, or
| reboot the machine. Any ideas on either would be great :)
|

| Cheers
|
| Ross

- --
Mit freundlichen Gruessen