[Samba] pdf printing queue never empties out

Kevin Fenzi kevin at tummy.com
Thu Feb 17 22:57:47 GMT 2005

>> I'm seeing an odd problem with 3.0.10 and 3.0.11 here.
>>
>> We have some pdf printers defined:
>>
>> [Accounting pdf printer] printer admin = "DOMAIN+Domain Users"
>> browseable = yes path = /pdfdropbox/Accounting printable = yes
>> writeable = no print command = /usr/bin/preprintpdf %s -r lpq
>> command = lprm command =
>>
>> The /usr/bin/preprintpdf just passes the job on:
>>
>> #! /bin/sh OUTDIR=/pdfdropbox /usr/bin/printpdf
>> -dCompatibilityLevel=1.4 "$1" rm $1

Gerald> ....
>> With debug = 10, We see in the logs:
>>
>> [2005/02/11 18:01:53, 0] tdb/tdbutil.c:tdb_log(725)
>> tdb(/var/lib/samba/printing/IT pdf printer.tdb): tdb_lock failed on
>> list 1717 ltype=1 (Bad file descriptor)

Gerald> What file system is this ?  Can you send me some more details
Gerald> such as the output of testparm -v, server OS details, etc...

Filesystem is ext3

The server is a RedHat 9 box, running kernel 2.4.20-8smp.
Samba is 3.0.11.

Here's the testparm -v output:

Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_MEMBER

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = OURDOMAIN
        netbios name = OURMACHINE
        server string = ourmachine
        interfaces = bond0
        security = DOMAIN
        obey pam restrictions = Yes
        password server = FOO1 *
        passdb backend = ourbackend
        name resolve order = bcast lmhosts hosts
        time server = Yes
        lpq cache time = 15
        printcap name = /etc/printcap
        add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -s /bin/false
        os level = 10
        dns proxy = No
        idmap uid = 10000-20000
        idmap gid = 10000-20000
        winbind separator = +
        winbind cache time = 15
        winbind use default domain = Yes
        max print jobs = 100
        printing = bsd
        print command = lpr -r -P'%p' %s
        lpq command = lpq -P'%p'
        lprm command = lprm -P'%p' %j
        veto oplock files = /*.db/*.mdb/

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        printer admin = root, "OURDOMAIN+Domain Admins", vinm
        read only = No
        hosts allow = 192.168.42, 127.0.0
        printable = Yes
        browseable = No

[Logs]
        comment = Samba Logs
        path = /var/log
        admin users = "OURDOMAIN+Domain Admins"
        read only = No

[pdf dropbox]
        path = /pdfdropbox
        admin users = "OURDOMAIN+Domain Users"
        read only = No
        create mask = 0770

[print$]
        path = /PRINTERDRIVERS
        printer admin = "OURDOMAIN+Domain Admins"
        create mask = 0777
        directory mask = 0777

[Accounting pdf printer]
        path = /pdfdropbox/Accounting
        printer admin = "OURDOMAIN+Domain Users"
        printable = Yes
        print command = /usr/bin/preprintpdf %s -r
        lpq command =
        lprm command =

[Accounting 11X17 pdf printer]
        path = /pdfdropbox/Accounting
        printer admin = "OURDOMAIN+Domain Users"
        printable = Yes
        print command = /usr/bin/11preprintpdf %s -r
        lpq command =
        lprm command =

[Acquisitions pdf printer]
        path = /pdfdropbox/Acquisitions
        printer admin = "OURDOMAIN+Domain Users"
        read only = No
        printable = Yes
        print command = /usr/bin/preprintpdf %s -r
        lpq command =
        lprm command =

[Acquisitions 11X17 pdf printer]
        path = /pdfdropbox/Acquisitions
        printer admin = "OURDOMAIN+Domain Users", root
        printable = Yes
        print command = /usr/bin/11preprintpdf %s -r
        lpq command =
        lprm command =

[Administrative pdf printer]
        path = /pdfdropbox/Administrative
        printer admin = "OURDOMAIN+Domain Users"
        printable = Yes
        print command = /usr/bin/preprintpdf %s -r
        lpq command =
        lprm command =

[Administrative 11X17 pdf printer]
        path = /pdfdropbox/Administrative
        printer admin = "OURDOMAIN+Domain Users"
        read only = No
        printable = Yes
        print command = /usr/bin/11preprintpdf %s -r
        lpq command =
        lprm command =

[Creative pdf printer]
        path = /pdfdropbox/Creative
        printer admin = "OURDOMAIN+Domain Users"
        read only = No
        printable = Yes
        print command = /usr/bin/preprintpdf %s -r
        lpq command =
        lprm command =

[Creative 11X17 pdf printer]
        path = /pdfdropbox/Creative
        printer admin = "OURDOMAIN+Domain Users"
        read only = No
        printable = Yes
        print command = /usr/bin/11preprintpdf %s -r
        lpq command =
        lprm command =

[Credit pdf printer]
        path = /pdfdropbox/Credit
        printer admin = "OURDOMAIN+Domain Users"
        read only = No
        printable = Yes
        print command = /usr/bin/preprintpdf %s -r
        lpq command =
        lprm command =

[Credit 11X17 pdf printer]
        path = /pdfdropbox/Credit
        printer admin = "OURDOMAIN+Domain Users"
        read only = No
        printable = Yes
        print command = /usr/bin/11preprintpdf %s -r
        lpq command =
        lprm command =

[IT pdf printer]
        path = /pdfdropbox/IT
        printer admin = "OURDOMAIN+Domain Users"
        read only = No
        printable = Yes
        print command = /usr/bin/preprintpdf %s -r
        lpq command =
        lprm command =

[IT 11X17 pdf printer]
        path = /pdfdropbox/IT
        printer admin = "OURDOMAIN+Domain Users"
        printable = Yes
        print command = /usr/bin/11preprintpdf %s -r
        lpq command =
        lprm command =

[Purchasing pdf printer]
        path = /pdfdropbox/Purchasing
        printer admin = "OURDOMAIN+Domain Users"
        read only = No
        printable = Yes
        print command = /usr/bin/preprintpdf %s -r
        lpq command =
        lprm command =

[Purchasing 11X17 pdf printer]
        path = /pdfdropbox/Purchasing
        printer admin = "OURDOMAIN+Domain Users"
        read only = No
        printable = Yes
        print command = /usr/bin/11preprintpdf %s -r
        lpq command =
        lprm command =

[Receiving pdf printer]
        path = /pdfdropbox/Receiving
        printer admin = "OURDOMAIN+Domain Users"
        read only = No
        printable = Yes
        print command = /usr/bin/preprintpdf %s -r
        lpq command =
        lprm command =

[Receiving 11X17 pdf printer]
        path = /pdfdropbox/Receiving
        printer admin = "OURDOMAIN+Domain Users"
        read only = No
        printable = Yes
        print command = /usr/bin/11preprintpdf %s -r
        lpq command =
        lprm command =

[Reception pdf printer]
        path = /pdfdropbox/Reception
        printer admin = "OURDOMAIN+Domain Users"
        read only = No
        printable = Yes
        print command = /usr/bin/preprintpdf %s -r
        lpq command =
        lprm command =

[Reception 11X17 pdf printer]
        path = /pdfdropbox/Reception
        printer admin = "OURDOMAIN+Domain Users"
        read only = No
        printable = Yes
        print command = /usr/bin/11preprintpdf %s -r
        lpq command =
        lprm command =

[Sales pdf printer]
        path = /pdfdropbox/Sales
        printer admin = "OURDOMAIN+Domain Users"
        read only = No
        printable = Yes
        print command = /usr/bin/preprintpdf %s -r
        lpq command =
        lprm command =

[Sales 11X17 pdf printer]
        path = /pdfdropbox/Sales
        printer admin = "OURDOMAIN+Domain Users"
        read only = No
        printable = Yes
        print command = /usr/bin/11preprintpdf %s -r
        lpq command =
        lprm command =

[Shipping pdf printer]
        path = /pdfdropbox/Shipping
        printer admin = "OURDOMAIN+Domain Users"
        read only = No
        printable = Yes
        print command = /usr/bin/preprintpdf %s -r
        lpq command =
        lprm command =

[Shipping 11X17 pdf printer]
        path = /pdfdropbox/Shipping