[Samba] "Delayed Write Failed" and other similar errors on Windows machines

Robert M. Martel bob at urban.csuohio.edu
Fri Feb 11 13:48:45 GMT 2005

On 02/03/2005 06:39 PM, Michael J. Welch, Ph.D. wrote:
> I am experiencing an error which has been reported on the internet
> since Samba 2.2.7 and Windows 2000. There are many suggestions as
> [An attempt to open a VS C++ project with no .NCB file. VS tries to
> build another file, but fails during the write.]
> Windows - Delayed Write Failed
> Windows was unable to save all the data for the file
> \\Server\icr\active\Copy of Ctrl 4-3-1-33\SKAN_Talk.ncb. The data has
> been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your
> computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save
> the file elsewhere.
> [The file is partially created.]

I am running Samba 3.0.10 on a Sun 420R under Solaris 9.  To try to cut
down the size of some user's roaming profiles I tried to re-direct the
location Mozilla Mail uses to store *.msf files from the roaming profile
to the user's UNIX home directory that we have mounted as h:\.  I was
doing this in preparation to redirect more of the roaming profile files
to the UNIX home directory - I was just starting small.

Anyhow, for the users that were changed I have see many "Windows Delayed
  Write Failed" error messages.

I cannot provide any additional useful information right now - variants
of SDBOT have been rampant on campus for weeks, and while the machines I
administer have not been infected, attempts to infect them have kept us
all busy  - and put the load average on my Samba PDC through the roof -
here putting local firewall rules on the Windows 2000 machines (our
networking group is unwilling to block the ports I want blocked between
my networks and the rest of campus.)  Thus I've not had time to look for
clues in the log files.  I had thought that it might be due to the
unusually high load averages we have been running and once that was
under control the problem would go away.

-Bob Martel

Bob Martel,System Administrator  I met someone who looks a lot like you
Levin College of Urban Affairs   She does the things you do
Cleveland State University       But she is an IBM
(216) 687-2214
bob at urban.csuohio.edu                                -Jeff Lynne