[Samba] Re: "Delayed Write Failed" and other similar errors on Windows machines

Michael J. Welch, Ph.D. mjwelchphd at adelphia.net
Mon Feb 14 02:31:00 GMT 2005

Bob,

I tried copying the failing directory on my Windows machine to make a "backup"
copy of the failing directory. When I tested it as I had before, it ceased to
fail. I copied the original to see what would happen, and the "Delayed Write
Failed" disappeared there as well. Now I haven't had the problem repeat for a
while, nor do I expect it to return.

Also, the problem appeared before in any similar directory (Windows C++
projects), but now none are failing. I have no idea what made the problem go
away, whether it was bad blocks on the Samba hard disk, or some setting in
the smb.conf file. I think it is unlikely the hard disk has a problem because
it was recently reinitialized and it is a Raid-0 mirrored drive. I know it
was not corrected on the Windows side. It was corrected as a result of some
change I made on the Samba side.

I did notice that nmb must be restarted with samba after the smb.conf is
changed.

cd /etc/init.d
./smb stop
./nmb restart
./smb start

I also noticed that Windows must be restarted at the same time, or Windows
will not see the smb.conf change. (What a pain in the ash! It takes my
Windows machine 5 minutes to restart.)

You can see my smb.conf at
   ftp://chata.dyndns.org/smb.conf
I know this conf file is working, so these settings are OK. You might want to
test these global settings on your machine to see if it gets rid of the
problem.

Hope this is of use to you.

-- Mike