[Samba] Problem joining Windows machine to domain managed by Samba PDC

Martin Gilchrist martinpg at javamarket.com
Mon Feb 7 01:24:14 GMT 2005

Hi, I am running into a problem that seems to occur to a lot of people, but
I haven't yet worked out what the solution is. I have Samba version 3.0.3
installed in a Linux box (let's call it linuxserver) and I want it to run a
Windows domain so that I can manage machines and users. I have a Windows box
(call it windowsclient, running Windows 2003 Server) that I'd like to join
to the domain (call the domain mydomain).

1. I have the following relevant parameters (among lots of others) set in my
smb.conf file on linuxserver:

   workgroup = mydomain
   netbios name = linuxserver
   local master = yes
   os level = 65
   domain master = yes
   preferred master = yes
   domain logons = yes
   wins support = yes

2. I have added the windowsclient machine to Samba using a command along the
lines of: useradd -g machines windowsclient$

3. From the windowsclient machine, I can browse directories on the linux
server as I would expect. However, this is what happens when I try to join
the windowsclient to mydomain:
a. I right click on the My Computer icon.
b. Select Properties.
c. Click the Computer Name tab.
d. Click Change.
e. Click the Domain radio button.
f. Enter mydomain in the Domain field and click OK.

An error message is displayed along these lines: A domain controller for the
mydomain domain could not be contacted.

The more detailed error message says:

The error was: "DNS name does not exist."
(error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.MYDOMAIN

Common causes of this error include the following:...

My impression is that a lot of people hit this problem, but after reading
FAQs and googling, I don't understand what the solution is: I think I don't
have a good conceptual map of what needs to be fixed. I have tried to follow
suggestions such as to fix various settings such as WINS and DNS, but to no
avail.

Can someone give me a step-by-step approach to fixing this? Thanks in
advance for your understanding... Martin