[Samba] Problem joining Windows machine to domain managed by Samba PDC

Tony Earnshaw tonye at billy.demon.nl
Mon Feb 7 09:57:02 GMT 2005

Martin Gilchrist:

[...]

> The more detailed error message says:
>

> The error was: "DNS name does not exist."
> (error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)
>

> The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.MYDOMAIN
>

> Common causes of this error include the following:...
>

> My impression is that a lot of people hit this problem, but after reading
>  FAQs and googling, I don't understand what the solution is: I think I
> don't have a good conceptual map of what needs to be fixed. I have tried
> to follow suggestions such as to fix various settings such as WINS and
> DNS, but to no
> avail.

1: You have to set up a KerberosV KDC on some machine (preferably your
Samba server;
2: You have to set up a working DNS on some machine, preferably your Samba
server.

> Can someone give me a step-by-step approach to fixing this?

Turbo Fredriksson has gone a long way toward this with his HOWTO at
www.bayour.com. However, it's going to take you a longish time - however
you look at it.

--Tonni

mail: tonye at billy.demon.nl