[Samba] Trouble with virtual server configuration

Tim Harvey tim_harvey at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 6 19:40:55 GMT 2005

Greetings,

I've been trying to use Samba in a virtual server configuration on one of my
linux boxes and am running into trouble.  My intention is to get a single samba
server to act as 3 seperate servers (netbios names 'Audio', 'Video',
'Pictures') so that later they can be migrated to different machines with
little effort.

In reading the docs, lists, and available books I've come to configure it in
the following way:

linux server /etc/samba/smb.conf:

#Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = mshome
        netbios aliases = audio video pictures
        security = share
        server string = Samba Server
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        max log size = 50
        encrypt passwords = yes
        # disable printer and faxes
        disable spoolss = yes
        # include shares from actual NETBIOS name
        include = /etc/samba/%L.conf

/etc/samba/video.conf:
[Video]
        comment = Video
        browseable = yes
        path = /data/Video
        force user = nobody
        force group = nobody
        read only = No
        guest ok = Yes

/etc/conf/audio.conf
[Audio]
        comment = Audio
        browseable = yes
        path = /data/Audio
        force user = nobody
        force group = nobody
        read only = No
        guest ok = Yes

/etc/conf/pictures.conf
[Pictures]
        comment = Pictures
        browseable = yes
        path = /data/Pictures
        force user = nobody
        force group = nobody
        read only = No
        guest ok = Yes

The trouble I'm having is that eventually each virtual server shows the shares
from all the others.  When I first startup samba on the server and connect to
the servers 'audio', 'video', 'pictures' from a WinXP system all is well (each
server only shows its single share).  Then after a short period of time
(minutes?) each of those servers shows all three shares (Audio, Video,
Pictures).

Any ideas what is going on or how I can fix this?

Thanks,

Tim