[Samba] problem with patch ms04-044 breaking SMB printer shares

John Perkins john at cs.wisc.edu
Tue Feb 1 15:47:06 GMT 2005

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 06:24:49 -0600
"Gerald (Jerry) Carter" <jerry at samba.org> wrote:

> I can't reproduce any problems with the security update.
> Is the Samba box configured to serve drivers to printers?

No.  We install the drivers on each individual workstation with an
automated MSI update mechanism.

The only shares configured on the samba print servers are the printer
shares themselves, which look as follows:

[copier-3]
comment = 3rd floor copy machine
#printer driver = Lanier LD145 RPCS
path = /usr/spool/samba
browseable = yes
public = no
writable = no
printable = yes
create mode = 700

Is it necessary to have the printer drivers loaded on the samba server,
too?  My read on the samba printer setup was that was required only if
you want to do automated printer driver updates on the Windows client
computers.

   John Perkins			  |   University of Wisconsin-Madison
   Associate Researcher		  |   Department of Computer Science
   john at cs.wisc.edu		  |   1210 W. Dayton St.
   608-262-0438/608-262-6626 FAX  |   Madison, WI  53706-1685