[Samba] Samba log analysis and report

Aaron J. Zirbes ajz at cccs.umn.edu
Tue Feb 1 15:15:55 GMT 2005

Dave,

I use the --with-utmp support (if your system supports it).

You can then view logon times using `last`

I know on my FreeBSD server (PDC) I can save my accounting info, and get
monthly summary totals for all my user's usage rates (who's hitting the
server the most via the `ac` command)  My RedHat server don't seem to
have this installed, but I'm sure that with a google you could get it
running on a Linux machine as well.

I use this in combo w/ the deadtime = 10 option in smb.conf to
automatically disconnect inactive sessions so my utmp, and wtmp logs are
a little more accurate.

P.S. the acccounting department loves these because they bill users
computing support ISOs according to different usage levels.  I combine
this with data from my SQL server logs, and wala... I can see who my
power users are, and who my technophobes are.

--
Aaron Zirbes