[Samba] Why not using the windows configuration wizard (joining a domain) with Samba-3?

Michael Billerbeck billerbeck at adesso.de
Mon Dec 12 09:22:51 GMT 2005

Hi,

On Monday 12 Decemver 2005 09:46, John H Terpstra wrote:

> On Sunday 11 December 2005 15:51, Michael Billerbeck wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > in the Samba How-to I've read not to use the configuration wizard with
> > samba-3 when joining a domain.
> > Why that? Is there a problem?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Michael
>
> Please point me at the specific reference in the HOWTO. I need to
understand
> what causes you concern.
>
> Please help me to understand your concern. If the documentation is
inadequate
> I must correct of extend it.
>
> Thanks.

In chapter 8.2.2 Joining a domain: Windows 2000/XP Professional (on page
131)
point 4 says:
"Click the computer name tab. [...] Clicking the Network ID button will
launch
the configuration wizard. Do not use this with Samba-3."
I was asking this because I used it also with Samba-3 and I would like to
know
if there are some side effects when using it or why it is explicitly
mentioned.

Thanks.
Michael