[Samba] Why not using the windows configuration wizard (joining a domain) with Samba-3?

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Mon Dec 12 18:57:08 GMT 2005

On Monday 12 December 2005 02:22, Michael Billerbeck wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Monday 12 Decemver 2005 09:46, John H Terpstra wrote:
> > On Sunday 11 December 2005 15:51, Michael Billerbeck wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > in the Samba How-to I've read not to use the configuration wizard with
> > > samba-3 when joining a domain.
> > > Why that? Is there a problem?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Michael
> >
> > Please point me at the specific reference in the HOWTO. I need to
> >  understand what causes you concern.
> >
> > Please help me to understand your concern. If the documentation is
>> inadequate
>
> > I must correct of extend it.
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> In chapter 8.2.2 Joining a domain: Windows 2000/XP Professional (on page
> 131) point 4 says:
> "Click the computer name tab. [...] Clicking the Network ID button will
> launch the configuration wizard. Do not use this with Samba-3."
> I was asking this because I used it also with Samba-3 and I would like to
> know if there are some side effects when using it or why it is explicitly
> mentioned.

Joining through use of this tool did not work with early releases of Samba-3.
Try it. Let me know if it works now.

PS: If you try the NetworkID Wizard, and it fails, reboot the Windows PC
before attempting to use the "Change" button. In the past, a failure when
usign the NetworkID wizard would hose up the Windows client so that it then
count not resolve the netbios name of the domain controller.

- John T.