[Samba] Hanging SMBD processes - Samba CRASHING

Brian_Pickering at selinc.com Brian_Pickering at selinc.com
Thu Dec 8 18:19:12 GMT 2005

We've had similar troubles with Samba 3.x on our ClearCase VOB server
running RHEL3.  Our fix was to go back to the old 2.2.12, and we haven't
had a problem since.  Unfortunately I was never able to devote enough time
to tracking down the problem fully.  I had hoped that upgrading to RHEL4
using a 2.6 kernel would help, but your experience doesn't bode well for
that.

Brian Pickering
System Administrator - Information Services
Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc.
Email - Brian_Pickering at selinc.com
Telephone - 509-332-1890 x1212

samba-bounces+brian_pickering=selinc.com at lists.samba.org wrote on
12/07/2005 06:50:28 AM:

> Hi folks,
>
> We have been experiencing problems with one of our Samba servers here
> for a while now and need a little help.  First off we are running Fedora
> Core 3, kernel version 2.6.12-1, and Samba version 3.0.20b. Our hardware
> is a RAID 5 DELL PowerEdge 700 server. The problem  I am about to
> describe has occurred on this server in previous versions of samba prior
> to version 3.0.20b and has the same result every time it happens.
>
> To get to the point of the problem, this server will run fine for a
> period of time and then begin to build up SMBD processes until
> eventually our users can no longer access shares.  The Samba server just
> stops responding.  It does not even respond to STOP, START, or RESTART
> commands.  Doing a RESTART on samba will look like it is restarting the
> service, but Samba will still be in the same locked state with shares
> still not available.  Doing a status on the service then reveals that
> the STOP, START, or RESTART did nothing to clear out the old processes
> or the locked files it thought it previously had opened.  We end up just
> rebooting the server to clear everything out.  Right now we are just
> reading through all the documentation, posts, and waiting for this to
> happen again to hopefully capture some error in the log.  When that
> happens I'll send more detail.
>
> I've seen other posts about this, but none ever clearly state some sort
> of resolution to this problem.  So I know this is happening to others.
> It's getting increasingly more frustrating since we have been running
> samba as our file servers for Windows clients for years now and never
> had this much of a problem with it crashing on us like this.  Our
> smb.conf file is pretty basic and really it is the one we have run since
> we first started.  Since we have not had a problem in the past this is
> making me think it is more an external application, like one of our
> databases possibly that is causing the SMBD process to build out of
> control.  We are open to any and all suggestions to help fix this from
> happening anymore.
>
> smb.conf file:
>
> [global]
>         workgroup = XXX
>         server string = Samba Server
>         security = DOMAIN
>         log file = /var/log/samba/log
>         max log size = 100000
>         socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
>         dns proxy = No
>         ldap ssl = no
>         log level = 5
>         load printers = No
>         kernel oplocks = No
>
> [homes]
>         comment = Home Directories
>         read only = No
>         browseable = No
>         available = No
>
> #[printers]
> #       comment = All Printers
> #       path = /var/spool/samba
> #       printable = Yes
> [...]
This e-mail may contain SEL confidential or
legally privileged information.  The opinions
expressed are not necessarily those of SEL.
Any unauthorized disclosure, distribution or
other use is prohibited.  If you received this
e-mail in error, please notify the sender,
permanently delete it, and destroy any
printed copies.