[Samba] Hanging SMBD processes - Samba CRASHING

Matt Lung matt.lung at midwest-tool.com
Thu Dec 8 12:53:17 GMT 2005

Edy Sulai wrote:

>I have very similar problem with samba 3.0.20b running on Redhat 9.
>in my case, smb process stacks up (within reasonable amount) and freeze.
>I had to restart smb to make it works again.
>the machine i'm using for samba pdc is quite low end (256 mb memory).
>
>through a few tests on the machine, i believe the problem was caused by
>lack of memory.

We have 1Gb of system memory here (512Mb of swap), and I think that is
plenty for a samba server.  Weather your low memory was the cause in
your case or not you are on the right track to want to look into
upgrading.  256Mb is pretty low for serving up files and doing
authentication for 100 users.

In my case the process is stacking up out of control and for a reason I
cannot understand yet.  Usually when this has happened there were only 7
users still connected and everyone else had gone home for the night. The
latest step I have tried was to set my deadtime to 15.  It was set to 0
by default.  Weather or not this corrects the runaway smbd processes
from happening again is still to be determined, but it should help with
clients that leave smbd processes open and do not close them.

--
Matt Lung

Midwest Tool & Die, Corp.