[Samba] New XP users cannot connect to Samba

Tom Conway tconway at tecsol.org
Tue Aug 30 12:14:01 GMT 2005

Hello,

When I add new users to my domain the users cannot login from XP clients.
Existing users are not an issue.

I add the users with: useradd -g ntusers username, then set the password
Then I use: smbpasswd -a sameuser, and again set the password

The password is not excepted by XP. If I login as a local user I can map
a samba share with the newly created credentials. I can browse objects
and see the new users but XP will not let them join the domain. I've
rebooted xp numerous times, stopped and restarted samba. Checked the XP
caveats in the registry, etc.

Any ideas?
samba-3.0.10-1.fc2, XP Pro with latest SP and patches