[Samba] Problem with winbindd getting users and groups from windows 2000 PDC

Kurt.Gerber at cde.unibe.ch Kurt.Gerber at cde.unibe.ch
Tue Aug 30 12:47:04 GMT 2005

Hello,

I'm running running samba 3.0.14a on a Gentoo 2005.1 Linux box.
I have first set up Gentoo 2005.0 with Samba 3.0.10 (I think) and
everything went fine.
After an update to Samba 3.0.14a it will not work as it should.

I'm running winbindd and samba with the following configuration:

[global]
        workgroup = CDE
        server string = %h server (Samba %v)
        security = DOMAIN
        update encrypted = Yes
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n .
        lanman auth = No
        ntlm auth = No
        client NTLMv2 auth = Yes
        client lanman auth = No
        client plaintext auth = No
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 1000
        dns proxy = No
        wins server = x.x.x.x
        ldap ssl = no
        host msdfs = Yes
        idmap uid = 10000-19999
        idmap gid = 20000-29999
        template homedir = /home/%U
        template shell = /bin/bash
        winbind use default domain = Yes
        printer admin = root, Administrator
        winbind enum users = yes
        winbind enum groups = yes

I have joined the Domain with
net rpc join -S PDC -U Administrator
and net rpc testjoin said with success.

But when I try wbinfo -u
It gives me
"Error looking up domain users"
and wbinfo -g gives me only the
BUILT-IN\.. groups

Authenitification with wbinfo -a works, but any request with wbinfo -n or
-s doesn't work.

Also the pam_winbind authetification doesn't work.

When I try to authenticate an existing user through pam_winbind, it gives
me the following error in the log:

pam_winbind[25223]: request failed: Wrong Password, PAM error was 7, NT
error was NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD

Has anybody an idea about the problem?

Thanks in advance!

Kurt Gerber