[Samba] SAMBA Gone Wrong

Martin Petersen martin.petersen at picturepuzzlemedien.de
Mon Aug 29 10:42:26 GMT 2005

Daniel Arrowsmith schrieb:
> I have just configured my smb.conf file (OS = Fedora Core 4)and have
> ensured that the NIC's have been trusted in the firewall, have run
> 'testparm', ensured all directroies exist and have restarted the smb
> service.
> However, when I attempt to join a computer to the domain I get the
> error message 'domain controller for the domain <domainname> could not
> be contacted.
> I'm not sure where to travel from here.  I have also double checked,
> and re-written my smb.conf file to be sure, and i still have the same
> probs.
> If anyone can help, I would be much appreciative.
>
> Regards,
> Daniel.

Hi Daniel,

to join a domain you need to create a machine account first. if you use
samba with no special backend (e.g. ldap) you need to create a linux
system account AND a samba account for the machine you want to bring in.

please search for machine account and samba on google and in a couple of
minutes you sould be up and running

ciao,

Martin