[Samba] 3.0.7 - NT Create AndX Response, Error:, QUERY_PATH_INFO, Error:

david rankin drankin at cox-internet.com
Sat Aug 27 06:04:32 GMT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Damen, Frank (damenf)" <damenf at UCMAIL.UC.EDU>
>I noticed your comments on the samba web site about the performance
> issue you were experiencing with the delay in opening files.  I am
> having similar issues when accessing files off the server, I was
> wondering if you ever found a resolution or cause to the problem.  The
> strange thing is that I have two identical computers and am experiencing
> the issue only on one.

Frank:

Is the one you are experiencing problems with a laptop with mapped drives
for 2 different servers?? Like home and work?? I had all problems solved in
3.0.14a, but 3.0.20 has brought new challenges with printer support, but
file access is flawless. If you are using windows clients make sure you
don't have any stray drives mapped that are not mapped to the current
server. This drives Samba nuts with the AndX chatter. Also, delete all of
the stray network locations under the My Network Places. Also, printers can
kill you. If you have a laptop with priters configured for work and home,
when you connect at home if your default printer is set for work, this also
creates the chatter. I don't fully understand it yet, but by process of
elimination I know what makes it better and worse.

JT, Gerry:

(A follow up to our call JT)

    I'm looking into this printer deal. I installed 3.0.20-1 on my SuSE 9.0
box and it killed printing to the laserjet 4 attached to lp0 on the SuSE
box. What is strange is the clients are dual-boot and if I boot linux, the
clients have no problem printing to the lj4 on the suse box. Nothing else
changed. No changes to smb.conf or cupsd.conf. (all have been shut down and
restarted along with nmb) So it is definately a smb win XP issue -- feels
like an authentication issue. Same loop, tcp, smb and dcerp packets. Take XP
out of the equation and everything works flawlessly (funny how that works).
What is strange is that after the 3.0.20 update, it also killed my pdf-gen
on the 9.0 box that is nothing more than a share that passes ps to the
ps2pdf13 utility. Any thoughts?? Anything I can send you??

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
RANKIN LAW FIRM, PLLC