[Samba] wbinfo can not convert User names and Group name to S ID

Kevin Wilson Kevin.Wilson at comtrol.com
Thu Aug 25 16:05:11 GMT 2005

Nah, we haven't updated our samba installations because they are production
servers and we have no confirmation that the latest and greatest will fix
the problem.

In a nutshell we get the following:

a power down or service restart doesn't automatically reacquire the domain
membership.

you cannot use the join syntax using PDC I outlined before, you must specify
the DC to use.

wbinfo -u & -g will immediately following joining the domain.

getent passwd & group usually works if the above does but I have a working
server with lists that were updated when the getent commands didn't pull the
lists properly...go figure?

wbinfo -m doesn't report the primary domain even though you just joined it.

wbinfo -t fails intermittently.

initially you can't access the shares then sometimes (after a 1/2 hour or
so) you can but not always.