[Samba] problems with name resolution in a small home network

Chris smb23 at realcomputerguy.com
Mon Aug 15 01:55:39 GMT 2005

On Sunday 14 August 2005 08:21 pm, Claude Jones wrote:
> OK - I'm still trying to understand netbios node types and where they
> are applied, and when to specify them, and how, and where they are
> specified, and...

This might help:
http://www.networkuptime.com/archives/2001/08/troubleshooting.html

This as well:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;160177

Plus, I'm pretty sure there's something in the Samba docs as well.

Generally it's nothing to worry about unless you want a special case
scenario, such as p-node. Node type can be set via the registry and
sometimes via DHCP. But in most cases you will be allright leaving it
alone. I recently used DHCP to change an account to p-node to stop all
of the noise generated by user systems that are not domain members nor
using the same workgroup. I only brought it up in your case because if
DHCP or a registry setting was putting your system into p-node there
would not be any broadcast resolution.

> Does this mean that I just need to make a declaration in my hosts
> files that julimobile is 192.168.2.33 or whatever, and that this will
> be picked up by dhcpd and used to assign the address?

Straight forward host declaration:
host asimov {
  hardware ethernet 00:03:47:a6:03:2b;
  fixed-address asimov.foundation.com;
}
The MAC address makes sure that whenever that NIC requests an IP it gets
the one defined by the fixed-address line (this can be a dotted quad
or, as you see, an FQDN for which a DNS lookup will take place). Use a
dotted quad (192.168.2.33 ) unless you know you have DNS properly
working.
Also the address should be outside the defined range for dynamically
assigned addresses on that subnet.

But this part isn't really a Samba issue and we should take it (and the
DNS stuff) offline before they revoke our list membership.

> Well, over on Fedora-list, we spent about 4 days setting up DNS on my
> system. I 'think' it's working properly, now. We had problems getting
> rndc going but now:
> [root at viewridgeproductions2 etc]# rndc status
> number of zones: 6
> debug level: 0
> xfers running: 0
> xfers deferred: 0
> soa queries in progress: 0
> query logging is OFF
> recursive clients: 0/1000
> tcp clients: 0/100
> server is up and running

Sorry, I have no idea what that means. It's not any DNS I have worked
with (which doesn't mean it isn't perfectly valid).
Look into tinydns, part of djbdns (you'll also want dnscache from it as
well). I'm getting ready to write a how to for small private LAN's for
it, there are already plenty of them already but I think another
viewpoint may be useful.

> At work, I have a very similar network configuration, but the name of
> the Linux box is viewridgeproductions - I haven't set up Samba on
> that machine, because my wife just uses it to route to the net, but
> the inside NIC is using the same subnet as my home network
> (192.168.2.1/255.255.255.0) Given that the two IP addresses are the
> same (home and work inside NICs that is,) would having a host entry
> on her machine mess up her ability to 'see' the net at work?

I don't think so...as I don't think hosts is used for reverse lookup but
I can't say that 100%. Of course, if you were really using DNS you
wouldn't want/need hosts and this wouldn't be an issue.

> > Also check if studypc is running a firewall (XP SP2 installs and
> > starts it by default).
>
> I run Kerio firewall on one, and Zonealarm on the other, Windows
> machines. These are both treating the lan as 'trusted' so all traffic
> is allowed.

Ack! Shut the firewalls totally down for testing purposes. It's the only
way to know for sure. Never assume in these cases, it will destroy your
ability to successfully troubleshoot. You can unplug the Internet
connection from the router while you do this as your browsing issues
are internal.

Another aside is to be wary of using a .local TLD for your home network
as sometimes an mdns conflict can arise.

Chris