[Samba] problems with name resolution in a small home network

Claude Jones claudedjones at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 06:42:07 GMT 2005

On Sun August 14 2005 9:55 pm, Chris wrote:
> On Sunday 14 August 2005 08:21 pm, Claude Jones wrote:
> > OK - I'm still trying to understand netbios node types and where they
> > are applied, and when to specify them, and how, and where they are
> > specified, and...
>
> This might help:

According to several sources I've read, including your citations, if I'm
running wins as part of my Samba server, then netbios mode h is the proper
mode. I've added the line
option netbios-node-type=8 to my dhcpd.conf

Of the two Windows machines, studypc was set to 'm' mode, so I changed it to
'h'. Julimobile was already set to 'h'.

> Straight forward host declaration:
> your example
Thanks for this. I'd already found the section in my man dhcpd.conf and set
it. So now, studypc is getting assigned fixed ip 192.168.2.33 at boot-time.

> But this part isn't really a Samba issue and we should take it (and the
> DNS stuff) offline before they revoke our list membership.

Let's see. It's very late so I won't do any thorough testing tonight. Maybe
these other changes have fixed it. The rndc stuff I referred to has to with
getting named.conf and rndc.conf to refer to a secret key in order to do dns.
I don't fully understand it, but it is supposedly working.

> Ack! Shut the firewalls totally down for testing purposes.

Yes. I know about turning off  the firewalls.

> Another aside is to be wary of using a .local TLD for your home network
> as sometimes an mdns conflict can arise.

Whats a ".local TLD"?

--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA