[Samba] problems with name resolution in a small home network

Claude Jones claudedjones at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 01:48:11 GMT 2005

I reply to myself, because I answered some of my own questions:
On Sun August 14 2005 8:21 pm, Claude Jones wrote:
> OK - I'm looking into this: From man dhcpd.conf
> "When  dhcpd  tries  to find a host declaration for a client, it first
> looks for a host declaration which has a fixed-address declaration that
> lists an IP address that is valid for the subnet or shared network on which
> the client is booting."
> Does this mean that I just need to make a declaration in my hosts files
> that julimobile is 192.168.2.33 or whatever, and that this will be picked
> up by dhcpd and used to assign the address? Or do I need to read on? (I'm
> doing that anyway)

I figured this out. I entered a host in the dhcpd.conf configuration giving
julimobile ip 192.168.2.33
Now, I can ping it, as well as the studypc
The hosts and lmhosts files are mirrored on all three machines.

Now, when I enter "smb:/" in the Konqueror browser window, I get the
'workgroup' icon:
click on that and I get the three computers
click on EITHER julimobile or studypc and I get an error
click on the linux machine and I get the shared folder which I can browse

One step forward, one step back

Again, if I enter the following in the Konqueror address bar, I can get to the
shares on the drives - I'm functional now - I just want to understand the
complete picture - why it works one way, and not another, and differently on
the two machines:

smb://julimobile/C
smb://julimobile/F
smb://192.168.2.32/C