[Samba] problems with name resolution in a small home network

Claude Jones claudedjones at gmail.com
Sun Aug 14 15:36:25 GMT 2005

On Sun August 14 2005 9:52 am, Chris wrote:
> On Friday 12 August 2005 10:23 pm, Claude Jones wrote:
> > StudioPC is fixed ip 192.168.2.32
>
> Double check name spelling, subnet mask, etc.

My mistake, but only in this mail-message:
The correct name is "studypc"
I did recheck the config on that machine, and it is correct:
IP: 192.168.2.32
Subnet: 255.255.255.0

> > Open a konqueror browser window and enter "smb:/ and I get my
> > 'workgroup' icon; click on that, and I get the three PC's that have
> > shares opened, VRPRODUCTIONS2, STUDYPC, and JULIMOBILE; Click on each
> > of these in turn, and I see the shares; in the case of JULIMOBILE and
> > VRPRODUCTIONS2, clicking on these shares allows me to enter to the
> > root directories of the shares, and then browse all shared folders;
> > clicking on STUDIOPC results in an error.
>
> STUDYPC or STUDIOPC ? Names are not matching.

See above - typo was in my message:
To clarify:
Open Konqueror
Type "smb:/" in address bar
"workgroup" icon appears in window
Click on "workgroup"
Three icons appear: (the misspellings are deliberate - this is how they appear
- I'm not sure where the names in the parentheses are derived from)
	julimobile (Juli's Lapto)
	studypc (StudyP)
	vrproductions2 (Samb)
Click on "julimobile" and the shared drives appear and they are browseable
Click on "vrproductions2" and the shared folder on my Linux  box is visible
and browseable
Click on "studypc" and the error message appears

> > On the other hand, if I enter "smb://192.168.2.32" in the konqueror
> > address window, I can get into STUDYPC and browse its folders just
> > fine... STUDYPC is listed in hosts  and lmhosts

This behavior persists - I can get in to studypc using the IP address, but not
the computer name

> Again you seem to have used 2 different names. If it is really STUDIOPC,
> then maybe it, and not STUDYPC, should be in the hosts and lmhosts
> files (of especially the Fedora box in this case, although the file
> should be mirrored on all the boxes).
>
> Simplify the task: can you ping STUDYPC or STUDIOPC?

Here's where it gets interesting:
[root at viewridgeproductions2 cj]# ping studypc
PING StudyPC (192.168.2.32) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from StudyPC (192.168.2.32): icmp_seq=0 ttl=128 time=4.78 ms
64 bytes from StudyPC (192.168.2.32): icmp_seq=1 ttl=128 time=2.68 ms
64 bytes from StudyPC (192.168.2.32): icmp_seq=2 ttl=128 time=2.77 ms

[root at viewridgeproductions2 cj]# ping julimobile
ping: unknown host julimobile

So, the machine I can browse to from Konqueror returns an "unknown host" error
The machine I CAN'T browse, I can ping???

Any further ideas would be appreciated - thanks for your suggestions.

--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA