[Samba] problems with name resolution in a small home network

Chris smb23 at realcomputerguy.com
Sun Aug 14 15:53:21 GMT 2005

On Sunday 14 August 2005 11:36 am, Claude Jones wrote:
> So, the machine I can browse to from Konqueror returns an "unknown
> host" error The machine I CAN'T browse, I can ping???

Probably because some name resolution is being done via broadcasts.

Have you verified spelling and format in both hosts and lmhosts?
Does julimobile as well as studypc appear in these files?

Are the hosts and lmhosts files mirrored and present on all systems
(note that for Windows systems the files need DOS terminated lines and
there must be a blank line at the end - the last data line needs to be
terminated).

Is NetBIOS over TCP/IP enabled on the Windows systems (see the WINS tab
in network advanced properties)?