[Samba] problems with name resolution in a small home network

Chris smb23 at realcomputerguy.com
Sun Aug 14 13:52:34 GMT 2005

On Friday 12 August 2005 10:23 pm, Claude Jones wrote:
> StudioPC is fixed ip 192.168.2.32

Double check name spelling, subnet mask, etc.

> Open a konqueror browser window and enter "smb:/ and I get my
> 'workgroup' icon; click on that, and I get the three PC's that have
> shares opened, VRPRODUCTIONS2, STUDYPC, and JULIMOBILE; Click on each
> of these in turn, and I see the shares; in the case of JULIMOBILE and
> VRPRODUCTIONS2, clicking on these shares allows me to enter to the
> root directories of the shares, and then browse all shared folders;
> clicking on STUDIOPC results in an error.

STUDYPC or STUDIOPC ? Names are not matching.

> On the other hand, if I enter "smb://192.168.2.32" in the konqueror
> address window, I can get into STUDYPC and browse its folders just
> fine... STUDYPC is listed in hosts  and lmhosts

Again you seem to have used 2 different names. If it is really STUDIOPC,
then maybe it, and not STUDYPC, should be in the hosts and lmhosts
files (of especially the Fedora box in this case, although the file
should be mirrored on all the boxes).

Simplify the task: can you ping STUDYPC or STUDIOPC?