[Samba] Administrator-installed printers unavailable to regular users

jurgen thinger at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 02:41:44 GMT 2005

Hi,

Thanks for your help so far.

> You can install the remote printer as a local printer by choosing
> "Local" in the wizard and using the UNC path to the device
> (\\servername\printer_share_name).

I tried this, thinking it could at least solve the problem in the
short term, but I can't see anything in "Local" to enter a UNC path.
XP/2000 have that option, as I recall, but NT Workstation doesn't.

> I think "net groupmap cleanup" can clean that up.

It did, but it also deleted a few groups I needed! Luckily, it
reported exactly what it was doing, so I was able to put them back.

> Group policy can prevent install and delete of printers, you may want to
> examine the settings.

I read somewhere that because NT installs printer drives into
non-user-space, ordinary users aren't allowed to install drivers, no
matter what the policy says. Of course that's contradicted by pages
like this: http://www.windowsitlibrary.com/Content/121/18/2.html that
suggest changing a value in the registry will allow anyone to install
drivers. Changing that value doesn't change anything though. Poledit
on NT with the default templates doesn't mention anything about
installing printer drivers either.

> > Administrator can install a printer, but other
> > users can't see it.
>
> Again, normal when installed as a "network printer".

I don't understand why this worked before, then. If that was broken
behaviour in NT Workstation, I want to find out how to break it again,
because within the limits of NT, it was quite convenient.

..jurgen

--
thinger at gmail.com is jurgen's gmail address.
Visit http://jurgen.ca/ for more yummy goodness.