[Samba] Administrator-installed printers unavailable to regular users

Chris smb23 at realcomputerguy.com
Fri Aug 12 00:50:51 GMT 2005

On Thursday 11 August 2005 08:31 pm, jurgen wrote:
> I should have been more clear about how the administrator installs
> printers to the workstations. They're installed via the "Add Printer"
> Wizard. Selecting "Network printer", navigating to the server, and
> picking the printer. It asks for a driver, which is manually
> installed. The printer is now available to anyone using the machine.

Your last sentence is incorrect (as you too clearly know) - network
printers are installed per user, not per machine; this is normal.

You can install the remote printer as a local printer by choosing
"Local" in the wizard and using the UNC path to the device
(\\servername\printer_share_name).

> Hmm. Yes and no. That's a bit strange. There are two "Domain Users"
> groups, and only one is mapped properly:

I think "net groupmap cleanup" can clean that up.
I think the dup groups should not exist.

> A regular user (member of Domain Users) gets a "Can't install printer
> because you don't have enough privileges to install a driver into
> this machine" error.

Group policy can prevent install and delete of printers, you may want to
examine the settings.

> Administrator can install a printer, but other
> users can't see it.

Again, normal when installed as a "network printer".

Chris