[Samba] Administrator-installed printers unavailable to regular users

Chris smb23 at realcomputerguy.com
Fri Aug 12 04:24:21 GMT 2005

On Thursday 11 August 2005 10:41 pm, jurgen wrote:
> > > Administrator can install a printer, but other
> > > users can't see it.
> >
> > Again, normal when installed as a "network printer".
>
> I don't understand why this worked before, then. If that was broken
> behaviour in NT Workstation, I want to find out how to break it
> again, because within the limits of NT, it was quite convenient.

I want to confess that my info is based on 2k/xp systems. It has been
very long since I've seen an NT system (outside of some old servers I
still maintain but wouldn't want to breath on them for fear that they
will croak before we are ready), and there are some details I just no
longer remember (and it gets worse every year).

So NT 4 (or is it 3.51? - I don't think anyone is still running
something before that) may be different in this regard.

> I read somewhere that because NT installs printer drives into
> non-user-space, ordinary users aren't allowed to install drivers, no
> matter what the policy says. Of course that's contradicted by pages
> like this: http://www.windowsitlibrary.com/Content/121/18/2.htm

Under 2k/xp the driver needs to be installed by an admin user (the first
instance of the network printer) before the domain users can add their
instances of the printer.

Isn't it time to update those workstations?

Chris